Sunday, April 23, 2006

One More Time Chuck Corea

So I'm down in Orlando this weekend for a lesson with Bill Carmichael, and he mentions to me that a bunch of the cats from the Disney band are doing a show with Chick Corea tonight. The concert was at Rollins College and there was no real box office to call for tickets so I just headed down there to see if I could get one at the door.

I got there early enough so I did get a ticket, but it was sold out by start time. What a fantastic show. Chick has been composing and recording since the '60s and has amassed an incredible number of CDs across many different jazz genres. The band he was playing with tonight was fantastic. Chuck Owen and the Jazz Surge are a contemporary jazz orchestra, with complete rhythm, sax, trombone, and trumpet sections as well as tuba, french horn, and bass clarinet players.

The lead trumpet player, Chad Shoopman, is an absolute beast. Not only was he screaming for the entire 2 hour show, but he ended the encore on G above double C. Supah-Schweet.

If you know why there's no typo in the title of this post, you get bonus points for being cool.

2 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did the Blue Devils play in 1981-83?

I'll take Drum Corps Trivia for $7 Trebek.

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I marched lead soprano for 6 years. Everyone in Drum Corps knows it's not a type. (& a hellova fun song to play, especially if you can scream like a demon!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home