Sunday, September 04, 2005

Cub Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park

This morning I went up to Rocky Mountain National Park. This was the first hike I did since spraining my ankle in June. I picked what the book called an "Easy Trail" because I didn't want to overdo it. The trail I chose is called "Cub Lake"; as you can probably guess, it heads up to a lake by the same name.

Cub Lake Trail is about 2.5 miles to the lake with a 500' vertical gain. Along the way you pass through a big grassy valley, hike along several streams, and past a small marsh. The lake is not a huge lake, but I got there around 8:30am as the sun was rising over it, and the view was gorgeous. I was feeling pretty good, and had no pain in my ankle, so I decided to go down to what the book called "The Pool". Turns out it is just a big river crossing, but it was a good place to stop and have lunch. It was pretty windy on the backside of the mountain. Or, as my good friend Derek would say in his ancestral Scottish Brogue, "It's a wee bit blowish".

This was my second trip up to RMNP, and I really enjoy it up there. The park is gorgeous, and if you get on the trail by 7am you can pretty much have it to yourself. Lots of "Good Morning"'s on the hike back though.

View my photos of Cub Lake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home