Sunday, April 17, 2005

Still feels like I'm on a boat

Rhett and I just got back to the Colonial club after 4 nights on the boat. The diving was really nice, with sharks, eels, turtles, and tons of colorful fish. I ended up doing 10 dives. Now that I'm back on land, it still feels as though I'm on a moving boat.... quiet disconcerting.

There were 17 guests on the boat, plus about 10 crew. We started out of Cairns, and headed north through the Ribbon Reefs, finally ending up on Lizard Island. From Lizard Island we took a low-level (500 ft) flight back to Cairns, which is beautiful as you can see the reefs from a totally different (above water) view.

I rented a digital camera to take pictures with underwater. I have to say, I'm really disappointed with its performance. Because digital cameras have a 1-2 second delay while they autofocus, it is extremely hard to take pictures of moving fish. I did get a few good pictures out of it. Also, all the guests exchanged emails, so I'll be receiving pictures that other people took on the same dives, and I'll post those on my blog when I get them.

The food on the boat was really really good. Evenings were typically spent hanging out in the lounge and just chatting to learn more about people. There was a couple from Paris that were honeymooning, and we plan on getting together for dinner when I get to Paris in a couple of weeks. There was representation from the USA (Florida, Redding-CA, SF-CA, Ft. Collins-CO, Austin-TX), Japan, England, and Brazil. A really interesting mix.

Diving is very exhausting, both from physical extertion as well as the body is working hard to expel the excess nitrogen that builds up in your tissue. Today is mostly a rest day, doing laundry and lounging around the hotel. The weather is much better in Cairns now with sun instead of rain. Thats about it for now, and I'll post underwater photos later once I receive them from the other divers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home