Saturday, May 28, 2005

Nature Galore (Deer Mountain)

Today I went hiking for the first time since moving to Colorado. Actually, the last time I went hiking was last September because it was the weekend before I started classes at Santa Clara University. I was trying not to pull a rib cage muscle this time, and was successful. ;-) Anyway, I hiked to the top of Deer Mountain, which is in the Rocky Mountain National Park. This is a way cool park, and is only about a 45 minute drive from my house.

I learned two things today (well, probably more than that, but only 2 of major consequence). First, I'm extremely out of shape. All of this travel and lack of exercise has left my body unable to cope with routine hiking. This is exacerbated by the second thing I learned--I am really not used to hiking at altitude. The summit of Deer Mountain is at 10,013 feet, which while not extra-ordinarily high, is higher than I've ever hiked. I noticed that I had to take more frequent breaks, and did not have nearly the recovery time that I'm used to.

Anyway, all my complaining aside, the hike was absolutely gorgeous. About 30 seconds into the hike I ran into a family of 5 deer, so I guess now we know why they call it Deer Mountain. I saw more deer later on in the hike too. There are great views of other mountains in the park while hiking up the mountain, and even a jaunt through a nice shady pine forest. Along the way I saw a chipmunk, and was able to grab a nice shot of him. I got to the summit around 10:30 and had it all to myself, so I had lunch and enjoyed the view. A squirrel kept running circles around me while I was eating, and I was finally able to get him to be still long enough for a picture.

A couple from Longmont reached the summit and we chatted for a while. They took my picture, and then I headed back down. I must have passed 30 people while I was coming back down, so I got off the summit before it got all crowded, and drove home because I was totally exhausted. NOAA's Weather Page is showing Thunderstorms for the rest of the extended weekend, so I'll probably be chilling out at home.

Feel free to check out my Deer Mountain Photos.

1 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

Welcome to Colorado. You'll be bagging 14ers in no time :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home